Re: how to activate php in apache[solved]

On 12/3/2013 8:18 AM, François Patte wrote:
Le 03/12/2013 14:07, Linux-Fan a écrit :
On 12/03/2013 10:50 AM, François Patte wrote:
You misunderstood the sentence: the file where the php command is
written is in /var/www and has 644 permissions... (/var/www has, of
course, 755 permissions).

Re-reading my first message, I can't see any extra w in /var/www !

"[...] does not work in /var/wwww (with 644 permissions)"

As far as I can see in my debian sid install this directory is /var/www
not /var/ww!

And in /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf

DocumentRoot /var/www

Anyway, the pb is solved: in php.ini (from debian) shorthand tags are
disabled... while in php.ini (from php site) it is by default enabled..

Packagers change the default configuration files and it is difficult to
know why and, up to day, no one on this list seems to be aware of this.

It is not just the packager. short_open_tag=off is recommended by PHP (and has been for several versions). Having it on causes problems with XML documents.

Jerry