Re: Linux' (and other OS's) code patterns present in device drivers, the kernel and userland code ...

Albretch Mueller writes:
 > > All programming languages have "the language" with its grammar, operators, oddities which are a result of trying to shoe-horn too much into an "elegant" grammar only to see springs start to poke through the fabric.
 > ~
 >  yet, since all languages are syntactic anyway (some sorts of protocol
 > handlers)

AFAIK languages are a subset of protocols whit rules about what is
legal/correct and how to compose the legal object together (and that
is the syntax in linguistics). Therefore no language is non syntactic,
it can use something different than sequences of nonspecialized gliphs
- usually meant to represent sounds - or specialized ones meant to
represent programming concepts.

 >  There are cases which are not that obvious, say pointers in C but not
 > in Java, but the closest implementation you can reproduce in Java is
 > through the command object pattern

You mean function pointers?

 >  well, there will always be "poets" out there! But they will always be
 > about meaning and not "language" per se. I think

main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"], (unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}

David Korn, AT&T Bell Labs, ioccc best One Liner, 1987

And many Brian Westley creations.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO