Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > AP wrote:
> >           .......snip.......
> > > It is really wonder to know that Debian doesn't include them because
> > > of yet another war of license....whatever...If the actual code is
> > > free, still such issues arise is a wonder to think....! I now think
> > > that KMail must be a bit less resourceful than Thunderbird.
> >
> > Debian does include them. It renamed them to keep from violating
> > mozilla's trademark. Firefox is iceweasel. Thunderbird is icedove.
>
> If Debian would include them from upstream as they are, they could call
> them Firefox and Thunderbird as quasi every other Linux distro does. But
> as already pointed out several times before, you are not allowed to
> change a single thing, not even to stay away from Google for the
> startpage for the first start. Thunderbird opens (at least opened) with
> advertisings, when started for the very first time, what Debian software
> opens with advertisings?

It was really about the nonfree logos.  A painful situation.  You can
read all about it here.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceweasel

And for deeper details...

Bob

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
-- Matt Groening