Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 19:44:27 +0530
AP <worldwithoutfences@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > I can't remember what I tested a while ago. Perhaps Claws, maybe
> > Sylpheed. I'll try _both_ again.
>
> Have all tried Thunderbird?  I am eager to know about it. Is it
> excellent?

Yes, it seems to be stable and do things fairly well. It's a bit slow,
particularly when starting, but that's not a problem if you keep it
open all day. It's a bit heavy on resources and may be a problem for
older computers if multiple tabs are used extensively.

If nobody else has mentioned it to you, the names and logos of Firefox
and Thunderbird are (intentionally) not under free licence, so Debian
does not include them in its main repositories. The actual code is
free, so Debian is free to recompile and distribute them under
different names and logos, and does so as Iceweasel and Icedove
respectively, and of course the original Firefox and Thunderbird are
freely downloadable for Linux and Windows.

--
Joe