Re: No Video

----- Original Message -----
From:
Hudson Flavio Meneses Lacerda <hfmlacerda@yahoo.com.br>

To:
<erosenberg@hygeiabiomedical.com>

Sent:
Sun, 01 Dec 2013 20:58:40 -0200
Re: No Video

erosenberg@hygeiabiomedical.com wrote:

> [...]

Hi,

My system is based on the Musix distribution, that is based on Knoppix
and Debian, and was updated to newer Debian releases. Currently, the
default is not generating xorg.conf (the system tries to detect the
video hardware at each boot), but that was not working in my laptop.
Then I used some scripts from Musix/Knoppix to generate a valid
xorg.conf . Be sure to have installed the Vesa modules for X and/or the
suitable X modules for your video hardware. You may try `Xorg
-configure` to try to generate a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Hudson

--
Hudson Lacerda
--

Hudson --
 My video - the data on the DOS partition is essential to me.  It is obvious that the FAT table has been corrupted, and therefore I do not know where the DOS files are.  They may be in the Linux partition.  That is why I cannot do an install on that disk.

I] I have an option, though I know it will be tedious:
a] Mirror the hard drive to 2 usb drives. Put one away
b] Install sid on another hard drive.
c] Mirror the sid drive to another usb drive
d] Have Debian Live CD in the CD Drive
e] On the sid drive create a user - ethan
 f] Boot from the CD.
 g] Copy one directory tree from the USB drive to the sid drive.
 h] Boot from the sid drive.
 i] repeat g & h until the whole usb drive is copied to the sid drive.
 j] when it fails, replace the directory tree from the sid usb and copy one subdirectory from the usb drive untill it fails.
 k] fix the bad subdirectory
 l] repeat i, j and k until the usb drive has been totally copied.

I know it will be long and tedious, but, hopefully it will work.

It could be that I should not have to copy everything from the usb drive.  In that case, what should I copy?

II] Where can I download [an iso?] of sid that I can use for installation?

TIA

Ethan