Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Sun, 2013-12-01 at 02:40 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> You can go to the preferences and choose another start page
> if you like. (That's not Thunderbird, of course, that's Firefox.)
> Anyway, if you'd rather have Bing, you can have it. Or Yahoo.
> Or whatever pleases you.

I wasn't talking about the abilities of Mozilla browsers, as I already
mentioned, I'm using them, I just don't like the policy. If you package
e.g. Firefox for a distro, it's possible to use another startpage by
default, but it's not allowed to do it. This is one problem I've got
with Mozillas. IOW, the very first time you start a Mozilla browser that
was packaged without offending a license, you will load their Google
thingy. This is restricted freedom, IOW not freedom. Google is known as
a data protection risk. Changing it by the GUI, after you already
started Firefox, doesn't prevent you against collecting data by Google
and Google's friends, such as the NSA.

Regards,
Ralf