Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Fri, 2013-11-29 at 21:28 +0530, AP wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > KMail seems not to be better, but more worse than Evolution.
>
> Ok but Evolution works well in KDE too?

I guess I will test it this weekend or within the next month. But I also
will test KMail on different installs. I'm undecided what DE I will use
in the future and also what MUA. For me it's important that I can use
the same DE and MUA when switching a distro. I'm not fixed to a
distribution, DE or MUA, I simply use what will fit best to my needs. I
just don't want to switch too much at the same time, assumed there
should be the need to do that. Switching the distro and MUA very seldom
happened in the last ten years, but unfortunately I had to switch the DE
too often for my taste.

IMO you simply should install several mail clients and keep the mails on
the server after downloading them, so you could test several MUAs
without loosing Emails, or without having to worry that you unintended
download some mails duplicated. If such an issue happens you simply can
delete the MUAs mail folder. Once you know what MUA is the best one for
you, you only should use that one and then it's no risk to delete the
mails after receiving.

MUAs could behave different depending to the usage of IMAP or POP, you
perhaps should test this too.

Don't believe a claim that something should be the best MUA, that are
just our opinions for the way we use MUAs. You should read about
advantages and drawbacks of mail directory formats, IMAP, POP and then
verify it on your own ;).

2 Cents,
Ralf