Re: Linux time not redirecting output to log file ...

On 29/11/13 02:48, Albretch Mueller wrote:
<snipped>

> (time rsync --archive --verbose $_SRC $_DEST 2>&1 >&3 | tee $_ERR >&3)

<snipped>

>>>  in this case however I can't get (Linux) time to log into the
>>> output+errors log file. It just spits its output on standard err (not
>>> the err + out I am trying to redirect it to)

The above complaint has been answered previously. See below.

>> "time" yes
>> "time -[a]o $file" no

If you want to pipe the output of time you *must* use the -o switch.
If you want to append the piped output of time you add the -a switch e.g.:-
time -ao=wherever(or tee)

time run the program COMMAND with any given arguments ARG....  When
COMMAND finishes, time displays information about resources used by
COMMAND (*on* *the* *standard* *error* *output*, *by* *default*).

OPTIONS
       -o FILE, --output=FILE
Write the resource use statistics to FILE instead of to the standard
error stream.  By default, this overwrites the file, destroying the
file's previous contents.  This option is useful for collecting
information on interactive programs and programs that produce output on
the standard error stream.

Hope that helps.

>>> ~
>>>  There must be some syntactic error in my statement. Can you see it?

Several, the above is one.

<snipped>

It's not your script which is, um, hard to read (made my nose and eyes
bleed too) ;)    I have a lot of trouble following this email and you
really should keep the attribution in there if you leave someone else's
comment in the post. The damaged quoting and broken thread meant it took
me more than 10 minutes just to get to this point, and by now I've
probably forgotten half the things you'd find useful. I 'get' what
you're trying to do - just don't have more time to (re-)write it for you.
I appreciate you don't mean to make it difficult, and that interleaved
posting isn't easy - it's just the way it is. :/

Kind regards