Re: Linux time not redirecting output to log file ...

On 28/11/13 12:32, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> ~
>  I find useful while coding/debugging separating the errors from the
> output + errors, even if the programming language doesn't allow for
> that:
> ~
>  http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/Java/comp.lang.java.programmer/2012-08/msg01347.html
> ~
>  in this case however I can't get (Linux) time to log into the
> output+errors log file. It just spits its output on standard err (not
> the err + out I am trying to redirect it to)

"time" yes
"time -[a]o $file" no

> ~
>  There must be some syntactic error in my statement. Can you see it?
> ~
>  lbrtchx
>  debian-user@lists.debian.org: Linux time not redirecting output to log file ...
> ~
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> ~
> _SRC="/media/sdb1/cmllpz/ace_verizon"
> _DEST="/media/sdd1/tmp/test/test1"
>
> _PRFX="rsync_"${_DEST##*/}"_"
>
> export _DT=$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S_%s);
> _ERR=${_PRFX}${_DT}".err.log"
> _ERR_OUT=${_PRFX}${_DT}".out_err.log"
> echo "// __ \${_ERR_OUT}: |"${_ERR_OUT}"|";
>
> date > ${_ERR_OUT};

What did you the the above line would do? (it has no effect on _ERR_OUT)

In truth I couldn't work out what you were trying to do (I'm guessing
"rsync -whateverswitches $source $dest  2>  $log" isn't going to do it
for you)

Kind regards