Re: php 5.2 on debian wheezy

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> I don't know what your problems are.  There aren't that many changes
> from PHP 5.2.x to 5.4.x.  Well-written scripts should run pretty
> much unchanged.  I've still got a lot of scripts written for PHP 5.1
> or before running on PHP 5.4.14.

I can't speak for the original poster but in my case the problem is a
site that I inherited.  It uses some proprietary binary blobs for
doing some report generation.  Those blobs are end of life with no
updates available for any newer system.  They do not work with the
newer versions of either PHP or Apache.  So the site is stuck in time.
There are plans to replace it but at the moment it is still operating.
Therefore I have sandboxed it and compartmentalized the risk as much
as I could.

So your statement is 100% correct in that "well written scripts" will
run perfectly fine.  If only we were dealing with those. :-)

> Unless the scripts are really crappy, you should find any problems
> to be minor and easily fixed.

In my experience the problems are never in the text of the script
code.  It is always in some binary library.

This has definitely shaped how I think about things and how I code
things up.  I would never willingly use a black box binary blob like
this in something I was creating.  It has no long lifetime for it.
The world changes and it is stuck.  For example if I wanted to run
this on an ARM (Raspberry Pi?) then it would scrape out a lot of
binary blobs that only exist for x86.  (Or even now for amd64.)
Free(dom) software is better for the long haul.

Bob