Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

Lisi Reisz writes:

 > Some of us are old enough for the command line to be more familiar.
 > DOS anyone? ;-)

Actually I almost never used DOS, but used a Sys V /bin/sh through a
terminal configured like a true teletype, a pain.

I was lucky enough to get exposed to ksh and bash quite soon, and that
let me understand the power of using words instead of gestures even
when you "talk" to a machine :).

 > I have always preferred the command line for installing and searching,
 > and am still not what I would describe as an advanced user.

Shell let you tell the machine "do all this mechanical work by
yourself and give me the results" while GUI sometime trap the user in
a Metropolis-like situation (see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q030WNZvXrA) where the man is a
servomechanism of the machine.

[The scene comes from some real life jobs in the pre-Control-theory
age]

--
ing. Gian Uberto Lauri
Solution Developer Senior

Sun Java Certified Programmer

Engineering Ingegneria Informatica spa
Corso Stati Uniti 23/C, 35127 Padova (PD)

Tel. +39-049.8283.517         | main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],
Fax  +39-049.8283.569		  |    (unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}
http://www.eng.it          	  |          David Korn, AT&T Bell Labs