Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:33:18 AM Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 November 2013 16:25:08 AP wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > > Much depends on whether you (AP) are ready to get your feet wet
> > > and use the CLI (command line interface).  By all means stick to
> > > the GUI (graphical user interface) for installing things if that
> > > is your preference.
> >
> > Because I guess CLI is a bit more typical and for advanced users
> > but ok...slowly-slowly....I would try to....
>
> Some of us are old enough for the command line to be more familiar.
> DOS anyone? ;-)

Never liked it. Going back a little further, VMS, AOS/VS, AOS, RT-11, TOPS-20,
TOPS-10. PDP-11 where two people could play a space wars game using the
console switches, where entire programs could be toggled in using the switches
(CLI not needed).

GUIs have their uses; but they limit what one can do. If one wants to learn
how a computer works, CLI is nearly the only way to go.