Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Nov 25, 2013 12:58 PM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 23:32 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 11:04:27PM +0530, AP wrote:
> > > I want to use Linux in my daily works which are simple like office
> > > works (documentation) and web surfing because I
> > > am in the job which is no more related with computers......So this is
> > > just my hobby part.
> >
> > You can use libreoffice. Just be aware that there can be formatting
> > issues between the two systems. Using the .rtf type can be used instead,
> > but there are plenty of "Save As ..." choices.
>
> "_Like_ office works "etc."", so what's the "etc."? Multimedia? Distros
> have different policies regarding to used libraries, regarding to
> non-free codecs, regarding to follow or not to follow current stable
> releases from upstream. All this could have advantages and drawbacks,
> depending to the usage.
>

> --

Hello there!

May I recommend a path that many of us took before sticking to Debian?

Just as prerequisites, if you have another hdd or some 30 gb of disk space on the existing disk, you should be fine.

Try RedHat's Fedora!
That is one of the cutting edge OSes.
Try OpenSuSE.
Both are rpm-based distributions. However, if you don't notice that as a user, then that is a good thing!

Try Ubuntu. Deb-based, derived from Debian, if you've used Debian before you might notice that some things appear to be easier to setup or already setup.
There are just soo many other Linux distributions out there that you can try and many of them offer live cds. (Burn iso on cd, and at boot select livecd instead of install. You get a feel of the OS without having to install it. Best example is probably Knoppix.)

Then, come back to Debian. Unless you choose any testing or non-stable variants, you will notice that it truly is stable and once setup, things Just Work (TM).

Just get your feet wet a bit! It'll be fun!
Good luck!

P.S.: One of the nice things of the non-Windows world is that you have choice. If you don't like one distro, you end up reading about many others which you might like.