Re: Debugging segfaults in commercial software on Jessie

Karl E. Jorgensen <karl@jorgensen.org.uk> wrote:

Hi,

>> The weird thing is, my colleague running sid on his desktop has the same
>> problem. My desktop, running Jessie, does _not_ have the same problem.
>> The VM in question, also running Jessie, does have this problem.
>
> Interesting... Perhaps there are differences in the package versions?
> Subtle ones?  I'd say run a "dpkg -l | grep '^ii'" on both (or all 3)
> systems and diff the output... It's bound to flag *something* up,
> unfortunately most of it is probably insignificant. But there could be
> a gold nugget in there.
>

>> I compared strace on both sides and there is no notable difference (more
>> filesystems on my desktop, but nothing extraordinary). Library versions
>> are the same. I adjusted environment variables to be the same, no
>> difference.
>
> Ah. You've been there already.

Just to report back, so far my attempts have been unsuccessful. I've
compared the package lists on all three systems. It was quite messy
since two of them are vastly differently managed work desktops, and I
could not find any clues in there. I also fiddled some more with
environment variables, but no go.

I'll keep trying.

Bernhard