Re: Circular initscript dependency prevents use of aptitude on wheezy

On Jo, 21 nov 13, 15:22:39, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> Somehow, I seem to have a circular initscript dependency.
> It seems to be complaining about the package mediatomb; furthemore, the
> problem first appeared shortly after I installed mediatomb.
> I tried uninstalling mediatomb, but it gets nowhere, because aptitude
> balks upon detecting the circular dependency.
>
> I ran
>
> aptitude upgrade | tee mediatomb-problem
>
> Here's the relevant message, out of all the stuff it produces:
>
> insserv: There is a loop between service mediatomb and modutils if stopped
> insserv:  loop involving service modutils at depth 2
> insserv:  loop involving service mediatomb at depth 1
> insserv: Stopping modutils depends on mediatomb and therefore on system
> facility `$all' which can not be true!
> insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!
> update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header

You have a lot of cruft on your system. I'd try

    aptitude search ~c

and if the list looks reasonable then follow-up with

    aptitude purge ~c

If you still have problems you can use 'dpkg -S' to find other
initscripts not belonging to any installed packages and remove them.

Kind regards,
Andrei