Re: Script to tell if Qpopper is running.

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 13:13:54 -0800 (PST)
Account for Debian group mail <debian@pcez.com> wrote:

> >> go in and issue a "/etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart" and it will
> >> be backup and running.
> >> to make sure that the pop3 server is running and if not will
> >> restart it?
> >> >> >
> > The bigger question would be - why is it dying?  I think I'd try to
> > figure > that out instead.
> >
> > I've been running qpopper for > 10 years, and never had it "just
> > die". It's > been 100% solid.
> >
> > Jerry
>
> Jerry,
>
> Trying to figure out why it dies once a year (or so) on a machine
> that is processing a lot of mail is not a question of why but rather
> get the pop3 server back up now.
>
> I've tried to write a little script using expect, but my programing
> skill, at last are not that good anymore.
>
> I have such scripts running for many programs on my computers that
> check to make sure everything is running as it should and if there is
> a problem restart that program.
>
> So once again I ask, does anyone have such a script for their pop3
> server?

Ken.
If you've already got working scripts for checking various things
then you could try adapting one to fulfil your new purpose. That
shouldn't be too hard, and would be better because you would know
*exactly* what everything in it was doing,

Sharon.