Re: Script to tell if Qpopper is running.

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

On 11/22/2013 3:54 PM, Account for Debian group mail wrote:

Hello all,

Once in a while the Qpopper on our mail server will just die. I have to
go in and issue a "/etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart" and it will be
backup and running.

Has anyone written a script that will run under a cron job that checks
to make sure that the pop3 server is running and if not will restart it?

Thanks,

Ken

The bigger question would be - why is it dying? I think I'd try to figure that out instead.

I've been running qpopper for > 10 years, and never had it "just die". It's been 100% solid.

Jerry

Jerry,

Trying to figure out why it dies once a year (or so) on a machine that is processing a lot of mail is not a question of why but rather get the pop3 server back up now.

I've tried to write a little script using expect, but my programing skill,
at last are not that good anymore.

I have such scripts running for many programs on my computers that check to make sure everything is running as it should and if there is a problem restart that program.

So once again I ask, does anyone have such a script for their pop3 server?

Thanks,

Ken