Re: Extending fluxbox menu with a script.

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 17:35:38 -0500
Neal Murphy <neal.p.murphy@alum.wpi.edu> wrote:

> On Thursday, November 21, 2013 01:15:34 PM Sharon Kimble wrote:
> > I am trying to write a bash script which has this line in it -
> >
> > mv ~/.fluxbox/menu ~/.fluxbox/menu-$(/bin/date +%Y%m%d-%R); mmaker
> > fluxbox -f;;
> >
> > This line is creating a fluxbox menu which ends with these lines -
> > '		[restart] (Restart)
> > 		[separator]
> > 		[exit] (Exit)
> > 	[end]
> > [end]'
> >
> > What I want to do is to add this script onto the end of the first
> > command, and it is -
> > #!/bin/bash
> > # title - submenu
> >
> > echo		[submenu] (My Menu)
> > echo		[include] (~/.fluxbox/usermenu)
> > echo		[end]
> > echo		[separator]
> >
> > So the final running command will look like this -
> > 'mv ~/.fluxbox/menu ~/.fluxbox/menu-$(/bin/date +%Y%m%d-%R); mmaker
> > fluxbox -f; submenu;;'
> >
> > and the main menu will look like this at the end -
> > 		[restart] (Restart)
> > 		[separator]
> > 		[exit] (Exit)
> > 	[end]
> > 		[submenu] (My Menu)
> > 		[include] (~/.fluxbox/usermenu)
> > 		[end]
> > 		[separator]
> >
> > But how do I do it please?
>
> sed is your friend. If I've followed your message (you want
> menu-`date` to contain the submenu), this should do the
> trick--*provided* the last [end] is the last line in the file:

No, the menu+date is a backed up copy of the main menu, which is
periodically deleted.

> mv ~/.fluxbox/menu ~/.fluxbox/menu-$(/bin/date +%Y%m%d-%R); \
> sed -i -e '$ i \
> \t\t\[submenu] (My Menu)\
> \t\t\[include] (~/.fluxbox/usermenu)\
> \t\t\[end]\
> \t\t\[separator] ~/.fluxbox/menu-$(/bin/date +%Y%m%d-%R); \
>   mmakerfluxbox -f; submenu;;
>
> If the last [end] is the only one in the file at the beginning of the
> line, change the first line of the sed chant to:
>
> sed -e '/^\[end]/ i \
>
> (Instead of addressing the last line of the file, address the line
> with [end] at B.o.L.)

But thanks anyway folks, I'll be trying them out tomorrow when I have
more time, so I'll reply better and with a fuller response then.

Sharon.