Re: [OT] P* language web page (Was: Re: P* - New language for web programming)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Alois Mahdal wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 22:55:33 +0100
> Atle Solbakken <atle@goliathdns.no> wrote:
>
> > Den 18. nov. 2013 10:06, skrev Sandro CAZZANIGA:
> > > You see my point ? Cheers.
> >
> > Yes, I see your point :)
> >
> > The manual page you saw was auto-generated docbook pages, so
> > it's no P*.
> >
> > Today, however, I've created a webpage which runs on P* and
> > looks nicer:
> >
> > http://www.p-star.org/
>
> Disclaimer: I'm not a web UI designer (QA is what I do for
> living), but you want constructive feedback, so I'll say what I
> feel like and what I would do first if it was my page.
>
> I haven't seen the old one, but this one looks OK to me, except
> that the fonts are about 2x as big as should be.  For example,
> the main title in header does not even fit my screen
> (1280x800), it cuts at "Prog...".
>
> Ironically, while sometimes I do use "zoom in" feature on
> various pages from time to time, on your page I actually had to
> zoom out to 50% :)
>
> What I'd do in CSS would be leave out the `body { font-size:
> 25px }` part, use `em` unit for most sizes on the page.  Also
> I'd consider adding some margins, at least on sides.  It's not
> the best reading experience for everyone to use the full width
> of the medium (monitor): for example it's more likely to
> interfere wit the background (read: the real outer world), and
> also need to bounce from left to right puts additional stress
> on eyes as well as additional effort just to flip to the
> (correct) next line.  (That's why magazines use columns.)
>
> (Just look at any nicely designed page, www or real page, they
> almost always have fairly wide margins.  Header/footer on www
> can be exceptions since they are marginal.  The mentioned
> mojolicio.us is really a very nice example.)
>

> Thanks,
> aL.

For screen reader users, it's better to have a web page come up using a
single column just because screen readers themselves are line-oriented
readers.  In web portals it's possible to turn on accessibility features
and when I can read a page in single column and have that as a portal
option I can control I'll use that one every time.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> Avoid the Gates Of Hell, use Linux!