Re: Install Google Chrome

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 04:54:53AM +0100, Alois Mahdal wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 23:40:49 -0500
> erosenberg@hygeiabiomedical.com wrote:
>
> > Dear List -
>
> Dear Ethan,
>

> > I have done the following -
> >
> > Downloaded chrome from site into /opt
> >
> > root@meow:/opt# ls
> > google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb
>

> First, do you really need the Chrome from the site?  Chrome is
> available in Debian repositories under name Chromium, so you
> should not need to download manually anything, just simple
>
>   root@meow:~# apt-get install chromium

From what I've read they're not the same program. Chromium is open
source. Chromium's web site says it's free but it's not completely open
source. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome:

"In September 2008, Google released the majority of Chrome's source code
as an open source project called Chromium,[14][15] on which Chrome
releases are still based. Notable components that are not open source
are the built-in PDF viewer and the built-in Flash player."

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped