Re: Samba share from windows

Your reply direct to me doesn't also seem to have come up on the list (as seen from here) so I've included your text in full for list visibility

On 18/11/2013 14:24, Gábor Hársfalvi wrote:
Thanks for the answer.

Here is the smb.conf ->

[global]
workgroup=MSHOME
security=shared

[dtp]
path=/home/serveradmin/_backupz/_dtp
read only=no
writable=yes
browsable=yes
comment= SMB share

security=user

guest ok=no

On windows machines when I browse the network it lists all the PC-s
available, but when I click this machine with Debian, It doesn't show me
its shared folders - it shows me an error message with access denied and
contact the network administrator...

So I couldn't get the login screen yet on this machine.

I haven't used security = user, so I'm not sure whether what you have is sufficient. I would have thought you also need to have settings for:

Domain Master
Valid Users

We have these, even for security = share (not share'd', in our conf; maybe you could recheck which spelling ought to be used)

In my experience, messages are not always semantically exact - 'access denied' may not mean that access is 'wilfully' denied but could be a symptom of connectivity/routing problems, maybe. Check and post what connectivity you can achieve (eg ping, telnet, ssh, whatever) between the Windows machine and the SAMBA server. Check outbound ports enabled on the Windows machine firewall.

Once you are certain about connectivity, if you want to do a simple but insecure (CAUTION!) check, set

Domain master = yes
security = share (in the [dtp] stanza as well)
guest ok = yes

wait a minute or two for Windows to stop arguing about the domain master (maybe reboot the Windows machine) and see if you can browse the server from Windows. If that works, change each of the settings back one by one and see what the Samba logs say. (The Debian standard conf file includes Samba logging statements - presumably you are using the standard conf with merely the few settings that you've listed, so logging should be happening.) I think posting of log reports may be really helpful if you cannot figure it out.

In any case, you will want to run with users and passwords, these days, and I'll have to defer to folk better informed and more experienced than me to help on that aspect. Don't leave your server with open shares, especially when even the basic connectivity may not controlled as you expect or need it to be.

good luck, Ron