Re: Permission issue

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, but it should be mentioned that for sharing some paths by a
> > > multi-boot, uid and name of the user must fit, if you want to avoid
> > > links.
> >
> > I am sorry but I do not understand what you are trying to say.
> > The "uid and name of the user must fit" part is where I am lost.
>
> JFTR
>
> > > $ ls -hAl /home /mnt/q/home
> > > /home:
>    ^^^^^ /home
> > > drwx------ 65 rocketmouse rocketmouse 4.0K Nov 10 13:33 rocketmouse
> > > lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse rocketmouse   11 Mar  8  2013 spinymouse -> rocketmouse
> > >
> > > /mnt/q/home:
>    ^^^^^ /mnt, IOW another Linux install so ...
> > > lrwxrwxrwx  1 rocketmouse rocketmouse   10 Mar  9  2013 rocketmouse -> spinymouse
> > > drwxr-xr-x 38 rocketmouse rocketmouse 4.0K Oct 27 21:32 spinymouse
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ... this is spinymouse

No.  You misunderstood my suggestion to synchronize the uids.  Here
they are not synchronized.  And therefore the problem you show.  But
if you synchronize them then the problem you describe does not exist.

> Now to the issue I mentioned.
> The uid for rocketmouse and spinymouse are equal, 1000.

Not if you synchronize the uids.  Pick one to be 1000.  Move the other
one to 1001.  Then then will be different.  Then both systems will
have the same list of users and uids.

> If you share content from one /home with another /home, e.g.
>
> /home/spinymouse/.local/share/evolution/mail -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/.local/share/evolution/mail
>       ^^^^^^^^^^                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
> /home/spinymouse/VirtualBox VMs -> /mnt/archlinux/home/rocketmouse/VirtualBox VMs/
>       ^^^^^^^^^^                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^

That is the entire point of why I suggested synchronizing the uid
numbers between the systems!  Have exactly one uid per name.  No more.
No less.  One only.  Two users with the same uid is right out! :-)

It is a little bit of work to edit the files to synchronize the uids.
But then there is no conflict between the systems.  It is easier in
the long run.

> The user name is important too, not only the uid. This might not be an
> issue for the OP, when users should share another folder than home.

I think we are talking past each other.  If the uids are the same in
the two systems then they cannot be different in the two systems.

File /etc/passwd on both systems will contain:

  rocketmouse:x:1000:1000:rocketmouse:/home/rocketmouse:/bin/bash
  spinymouse:x:1001:1001:rocketmouse:/home/rocketmouse:/bin/bash

Or the /etc/passwd file on both systems will contain:

  rocketmouse:x:1001:1001:rocketmouse:/home/rocketmouse:/bin/bash
  spinymouse:x:1000:1000:rocketmouse:/home/rocketmouse:/bin/bash

Pick one or the other and make it so.  Anything else is not
synchronized.

Bob