Re: USB adapter for SD card.

On 9/5/13, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 09/04/2013 11:54 PM, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
>> On 9/4/13, Gregory Nowak <greg@gregn.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah. It looks like the card reader is recognized, and the fact that
>>> the cards are in it, but it looks like the capacity of both cards is
>>> too big for the reader to deal with. That's my guess anyway, maybe
>>> someone else has a better answer. I'm not sure how backward compatible
>>> CF cards are. Again, it's possible your card reader can't handle a
>>> 512M CF card as well.
>>

>> JUST the last couple weeks experienced this very thing. Upgraded to...
>> a secondhand 2008 digital camera that I could now use 16gb SDHC. DEJA
>> VU, went through the whole deal it sounds like is reported here of not
>> being able to access the card anywhere.
>>
>> Exactly as reported here, no file nor graphics program worked and I
>> went through every single one I could find (on Knoppix). Tried lsusb,
>> probably because of seeing it referenced maybe even on this listserv.
>> After seeing the card reader hardware was being recognized and knowing
>> the old reader worked great with 2gb but apparently not 16gb, it hit
>> that maybe the old card reader couldn't handle the larger SDHC. BINGO.
>> Kid you not, new product arrived TODAY and.... wait for it, here it
>> comes >>> IT WORKS! :)
>>
>> BUT... Still ran into glitches.. Am on a ~ten year old laptop (Toshiba
>> Satellite P25-S609) using a little bit older Knoppix 6.4.3 Live DVD.
>> Knoppix would hang bad (sit and spin without loading) on reboot if the
>> new product was in a recently acquired USB 4-port hub but Knoppix
>> loads as normal if new card reader is given its own dedicated USB port
>> it doesn't have to share with any other hardware...
>>
>> Cindy Sue :)
>>

> Cindy, you have just performed a very valuable service. I imagine a lot
> of readers of this list will thank you.  So, thank you!

Hi, Doug.. Thank you so much for your kind words. My apologies for a
belated response. Just... a lot going on. Regarding my elaboration of
a malfunctioning SD card here, It crossed my mind for a split second
that some portion of the trial-and-error garnered information offered
might be overkill. But.. have already seen several instances where
members leave extensive details for the archive in hopes of saving
others some needless hairpulling. Looking forward to FINALLY being
able to give back something to the Debian Community for your priceless
gift that is Debian and its many wonderful derivatives.

Thank you again for the kind feedback, Doug.. :)

Cindy :)

- :: -
Cindy-Sue Causey
Backyard Pishing (Birding)