Re: What to do when not understanding man pages?

Tom H wrote:
On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

I'm having problems with two specific man pages at the moment - gunzip and
dpkg-scanpackages.

When using gunzip I got an unexpected result. The result of "gunzip
myfile.gz" was a single file named "myfile". What I expected/desired was to
have two files on the disk - "myfile.gz" and "myfile". There was only one -
"myfile". Reading the man page seemed to indicate that was the _only_
possible result? Is there no option for my desired result? [Of course a copy
of original file could be made before unzipping it, but that seems a
KLUDGE.]

gunzip -k owlett.gz

I do not see a -k option in man page
http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=gunzip&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Debian+7.0+wheezy&format=html&locale=en