Re: What to do when not understanding man pages?

Curt:
> On 2013-11-04, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> gunzip -c myfile.gz > myfile
>>
>> <GRIN> It's been too long since I used CP/M-80. Piping and
>> redirection was routine.
>
> Seems like he got it bassakwards to me:
>
> gunzip -c myfile > myfile.gz

I think /you/ got it backwards. :) It's gunzip, not gzip.

> It's in the ADVANCED USAGE section of the man page.
>
>  cat file1 file2 | gzip > foo.gz

What is not explicitly stated in this section is that you cannot restore
file1 and file2 from this example. You only get a concatenation of both.

J.
--
Television advertisements are the apothesis of twentieth century culture.
[Agree]   [Disagree]