Re: Init system deba{te|cle}

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 14:21:40 +0000
> Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 02:06:06AM +0400, Reco wrote:

> I don't know why people adopting it. I only have an option about why
> distributions adapting systemd. IMO:
>
> Fedora - because RedHat needs something enterprisey for their RHEL, and
> apparently upstart in RHEL6 doesn't cut it (being pet Canonical project
> and all that).

Fedora 9 switched to upstart and Fedora 15 switched to systemd. RHEL 6
is based on Fedora 12/13...

RHEL 6 (as well as Fedora 9-14) use upstart's "/sbin/init" and a few
upstart jobs. AFAIR, there are native jobs for setting up the ttys,
launching plymouth, and parsing "/proc/cmdline" in order to run
"telinit <runlevel>" and that's about it. sysvinit scripts launch
everything else, via upstart.

The only reason that I remember having seen for not switching more
comprehensively to native upstart jobs is that if you have sysvinit
script that depends on another sysvinit script and the latter's ported
to an upstart job, the dependency breaks.

Lennart gave a talk at this summer's DebConf. Two reasons for systemd
stand out from that talk.

1) He described systemd as "completely" open source more than once, in
a clear dig at Canonical's
copyright-assignment-come-contributor-agreement for upstart.

2) He said (not his exact words) that "we spoke to upstart upstream
about some changes and they were rejected."

> ArchLinux - because they like to ship upstream projects unmodified and
> like to change things frequently. They ship GNOME - GNOME says 'use
> systemd' - they ship systemd.

Arch decided that systemd was better than its implementation of sysvinit and rc.

> PS Not that I have anything against systemd. By the time I'll get my
> hands on it (be it next Debian stable, or RHEL7) they'll sure stabilize
> it somehow, write distribution-specific documentation and all that.

There's no need for distribution-specific documentation. One of the
goals of systemd is distribution-neutral system and service manager,
with service files shipped by the various upstreams providing daemons.
He even got some stick from some Red-Hatters/Fedorans for adopting
Debian's "/etc/hostname". :)

The only documentation that you need are the man pages and Lennart's
"systemd for administrators" blog series.