Re: [OT] Ping mystery

Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have sort of a weird one here. On my network, I have my firewall,
> which has 3 interfaces. eth0 to the internal network, eth1 to the DMZ
> with a wireless access point hanging off of it, and eth2 out to the
> interwebs.

> My workstation is on the internal network, and i have a Nokia N900 on
> the wifi. I saw in the backup reports that the Nokia failed to back up
> because of long ping times. So I pinged it, and while every ping came
> back, and the "time=" looked normal, it was running at about 1/3
> speed. I tried a combination of pings and found the following:

> * Pings from my workstation to the Nokia by hostname are slow;
> * Pings from the firewall are normal;
> * Pings from the access point are normal;
> * Pings from the workstation by IP are normal.

> Now, I thought it might be an issue on my dns. It wasn't. The DNS responds
> normally with 1msec query times.

What DNS queries did you test? Name-to-IP or IP-to-name?

I once experienced strange ping slowness, because ping was trying to
reverse-resolve the IP of the returned ICMP package every time.

The slowness was caused by a misconfigured bind, refusing to answer the
request, causing a 5 second delay every time.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.