[OT] Ping mystery

I have sort of a weird one here. On my network, I have my firewall, which has 3 interfaces. eth0 to the internal network, eth1 to the DMZ with a wireless access point hanging off of it, and eth2 out to the interwebs.

My workstation is on the internal network, and i have a Nokia N900 on the wifi. I saw in the backup reports that the Nokia failed to back up because of long ping times. So I pinged it, and while every ping came back, and the "time=" looked normal, it was running at about 1/3 speed. I tried a combination of pings and found the following:

* Pings from my workstation to the Nokia by hostname are slow;
* Pings from the firewall are normal;
* Pings from the access point are normal;
* Pings from the workstation by IP are normal.

Now, I thought it might be an issue on my dns. It wasn't. The DNS responds normally with 1msec query times.

What's more, I also have a Nokia N810 on the access point, and it does not exhibit these symptoms.

Anyone got any suggestions on what the cause may be? Right now, everything is working fine, I can ssh/scp to it, etc. But I'd like to know what is causing it.

Thanks,
--b