Re: Debian setup for python django development

On 2013-10-31, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> Have you actually set up a python, django, mysql development project
> using the Debian packages?  If not, then it is best not to guess, it
> will just further confuse the OP!

The crux of the matter is that the OP shouldn't mix pip modules and
debian packaged modules in the global environment.  It's one or the
other (in order to obviate much more future confusion); my opinion is
definitely to stick with apt.

virtualenv is a sandbox where he can experiment as he wants as a regular
user with pip/setuptools without jeopardizing the package management on
his system (he'll get the most updated modules that way, but no security
updates as with apt).

That's my understanding of the situation after briefly reading about it
on the internets.