Re: Debian setup for python django development

Le 31.10.2013 19:36, Chris Bannister a écrit :
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:07:37PM +0100,
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 28.10.2013 18:12, Gary Roach a écrit :
>Hi all,
>
>I have been trying to set up a python, django, mysql development
>project and am really confused. All of the documentation seems to
>ignore the apt-get installation methods used by
>ebian and its derivatives. Does pip install the same as Aptitude ( I
>don't think so). If I use virtualenvwrapper, how does this fit with
>the normal debian (wheezy) installation. I also need git which just
>confuses the situation even more.

I do not know a lot of things about python development, but I think
you can first try to not question yourself about how to do things.
Just do them.

Not helpful.

What I meant here was that simply installing development packages could be enough, instead of searching the web for tutorials targeting windows and/or mac OS.

For git and mysql, simply use apt-get ( or aptitude or synaptic or
whatever you prefer ). Things will work out of the box. Of course,
you will have to setup mysql to create DBs, but this will be the
same as on any other OS. Or almost ( rights management might be more
complicated than on windows, but you will probably find solutions
when you will have error messages ).
For django, it seems that there is a package named libqdjango-dev,
and python is already installed because lot of tools depends on it.

Have you actually set up a python, django, mysql development project
using the Debian packages?

berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
I do not know a lot of things about python development

If not, then it is best not to guess, it
will just further confuse the OP!

Not helpful.

I have started more than one development projects, using sometimes DB, sometimes not. Usually in C++, but I have also played with perl. In all those cases, the procedure I describe worked fine. Unlike yours. Oh, wait, you did not proposed any, sorry. I forgot that you only replied for the pleasure to say that I do not help...