Re: alien 32/64 bits

François Patte wrote:
> Bob Proulx a écrit :
> > François Patte wrote:
> >> Is there a way to build a debian package on an amd64 from a rpm package
> >> built for a 32bits platform.
> >>
> >> I don't mean that I want an amd64 debian package, as 32bits can be
> >> installed.
> >
> > You still haven't answered my question concerning this in the other
> > thread.  What is the original problem you are trying to solve?
>
> I want to build a deb 32bits package from a 32bits package (rpm) on an
> amd64 system.

Sigh.  That is not helpful!  That is the Y part of an XY Problem.
What is the X part of the problem?

Against my better judgement I will answer even though you are avoiding
helping.  If I were wanting to create a 32-bit Debian package from a
32-bit rpm package (can't imagine why) on a 64-bit machine then I
would create a 32-bit Debian chroot on the 64-bit system.  Then I
would buid the 32-bit Debian package from the rpm in the chroot.

Also if I were doing it I would avoid alien and instead would unpack
the rpm using rpm2cpio into a directory of files.  Then I would deal
with the location handling of those files specifically for that
package.  Meaning renaming files appropriately to match Debian
conventions.  Then package up the resulting bundle.

Creating a 32-bit chroot on a 64-bit system is trivial using
debootstrap.  Here is a reference.

  https://wiki.debian.org/chroot

Bob