Re: Centralized update management (WSUS-like) for Debian-based systems?

2013/10/28 Philipp Born <philipp@tamcore.eu>:
> Hi,
>
> we're looking for something a bit WSUS-like for Debian (and Ubuntu) to roll
> out updates etc on our Debian- and Ubuntu-based infrastructure. We've
> already tried Landscape (the licensing fees are not economically for us) and
> Spacewalk (which would be perfect, if it would correctly recognize all
> packages..)
>
> What we definitely need is
> - webinterface
> - should do its own update lookups
> - should tell all and/selected clients to install/update all/selected
> packages
> - communication needs to be client-initiated (internal routing won't allow
> anything else)
> - Permissions (limit certain users to certain systems, user xy can see
> updates but not start a rollout)
> - logging (very important, every action done needs to be logged somewhere)
>
> Also LDAP-Authentification would be a nice-to-have.
>
> Would be great if it would be an (active) open source project.
>
> Maybe you know something usable that would fit somehow these requirements?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Greetings from Germany
> - Philipp
>

> --

Hi

With time and work you can fill more or less all your request using:
puppet+git+apticron+nagios/icinga+etc.

> - webinterface
Puppet Dashboard + Puppetdb + gitweb
> - should do its own update lookups
Puppet + apticron or puppet + nagios/icinga check-apt
> - should tell all and/selected clients to install/update all/selected
> packages
Puppet + apticron or puppet + nagios/icinga check-apt
> - communication needs to be client-initiated (internal routing won't allow
> anything else)
Puppet client starts the communication
> - Permissions (limit certain users to certain systems, user xy can see
> updates but not start a rollout)
Can be achieve using gitolite or other git crontrol system (not tested)
> - logging (very important, every action done needs to be logged somewhere)
All is looged on the puppetmaster logs and reports
> Also LDAP-Authentification would be a nice-to-have.
Puppet dashboard support apache/ldap authentication

> Would be great if it would be an (active) open source project.
It is available an open source version [1]

[1]http://puppetlabs.com/puppet/puppet-open-source

Best regards

Juan Sierra Pons                                 juan@elsotanillo.net
Linux User Registered: #257202       http://www.elsotanillo.net
GPG key = 0xA110F4FE
Key Fingerprint = DF53 7415 0936 244E 9B00  6E66 E934 3406 A110 F4FE