Re: Blacklisting threads - SOLVED

On Wed 23 Oct 2013 at 13:27:11 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> Be aware though, that if somebody new posts to the thread, you'll see
> their messages, and any quote(s) they contain so the thread re-emerges.
> Also, blacklisting the people will block their posts to that, and any
> other thread, not just those to the thread you were/are trying to quell.
>
> OTOH, you might consider that a "Good Thing"®.   ;-)

I think the OP probably realises that but it as well to spell it out for
other readers. A more surgical approach would be to target headers such
as References: and In-Reply-To: and filter on one or both of them. I
expect this would have its own drawbacks but at least it gets closer to
the blacklisting of all participants in a particular thread.

The idea is to get the Message-ID of the first post, but ones from
subsequent mails should also be useful. My perspective is that of a user
of Mutt. Mutt has the abilty to pipe a mail to a script; I think Kmail
can also do this.

In Mutt:

   macro index <f4> |/home/brian/extract

extract has

   MID=$(cat - | grep -i ^Message-ID | cut -d"<" -f2 | cut -d">" -f1)

What is done with the Message-ID is up to you. Using it in procmail is
one idea. However, I collect mail with POP3 and have mailfilter filter
mails on the server, so the script also has

   echo "DENY=\"^References:.*${A}\"" >> /home/brian/.mailfilter/mailfilterrc-refs
   echo "DENY=\"^In-Reply-To:.*${A}\"" >> /home/brian/.mailfilter/mailfilterrc-refs

in it.

Pressing F4 in mutt takes a second and the DENY rules delete the mails
for the thread you do not want to see when the POP3 server is accessed.