Re: Advice on new desktop/building?

On 10/19/13 11:58, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
... time to consider replacing [desktop computer].  ...
This is to run Wheezy for simple desktop use--web surfing, running home music network, some videos, some coding, but no gaming, no video/sound editing, no real storage needs.
I DO want:
   Small or smallish form factor (currently using a slim tower), attractive
   SSD (small capacity--everything impt is on a NAS elsewhere, i just want the system to run fast)
   Ability to have two monitors (currently using VGA and HDMI 'cause that's the ports i have)
   Optical drive
   Lots of USB ports (3.0 not really necessary but wouldnt hurt I guess)
   Gigabit Ethernet
   Relatively quiet, energy efficient
   8 GB RAM (for future-proofing, don't normally need much)
I DON"T want or don't care about:
   Massive speed and 16 cores (but want enough that I wont need to replace in a year)
   Fancy video card (built-in has always been fine, if I can watch movies that's all i need)
   Fancy sound card (I use USB into a DAC for serious things)
   Massive mechanical HD
But i have literally no idea how to assemble a machine from scratch ...

I've built many full tower desktop machines for myself and clients, and have had the best luck with Intel brand motherboards with integrated Intel graphics, Intel sound, and Intel networking, both in terms of long-term hardware reliability and in terms of software/ driver support (Windows, Linux, and *BSD).

I've also assembled a few shoebox-sized machines, all by Shuttle. The original power supplies failed, but the replacements have lasted. They have problems booting when an external USB CD-ROM drive is connected (this makes it hard to install the OS, and is inconvenient when the machine is power cycled).

Building small machines from scratch can get expensive, especially if you want silence.

Intel's Next Unit of Computing product line looks appealing:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/nuc-family.html

The smallest solution is no system case -- e.g. all-in-one PC's with the motherboard, drives, etc., built into the display or the base. Lenovo makes a model with a 27" IPS LCD/LED 2560x1440 display. I used a monitor like this briefly and it was *much* nicer than the dual-head 21" CRT 1600x1200 setup I had at the time.

If you want very high-resolution displays (e.g. more than 1920x1080), pay careful attention to the graphics ports.

I've only seen lots of USB ports on MicroATX and ATX motherboards.

For what you're describing, 1 GB of memory would suffice. 2 GB would provide better video and caching. 4 GB is the most I'd go with. I have 8 GB in my primary machine because I don't use swap partitions and because I run virtualization (two 1 GB appliances and one 4 GB desktop, all without swap).

I'd recommend an Intel 4th Generation Core i3 processor. If you want to do encrypted drives, get a processor with AES-NI and Secure Key:

    http://ark.intel.com/

If you want to do virtualization, get a processor with VT-x, VT-d, and EPT, and a supporting chipset/ motherboard:

    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-030922.htm

It's nice to have a low-wattage processor, a high-efficiency power supply, and low-speed fans to minimize noise and heat.

My primary machine has an Intel 520 series SSD system drive and a large Seagate 7200.14 HDD for data. The Intel 520's are supposed to have the best algorithms for managing flash memory; all I know is that they make any machine I put them into *much* more responsive. Note that you have to step up to the 180 GB model to get peak throughput. Putting bulk data on another drive keeps the system drive small (~7.5 GB used), making it convenient to take/ restore system drive images. Putting drives into caddies/ docking bays helps when you have more than one computer, especially when you want to copy/move bulk data.

For assembly, there are several choices:

1. Find a retailer who will sell you the parts and assemble them for you (I believe Fry's Electronics charges $50).

2.  Ask/ pay/ trade a geek friend to do it for you.

3.  Look for a local Linux User's Group that is having an InstallFest.

4. Study up and do it your self. Be sure to buy an anti-static wrist strap.

HTH,

David