Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:36:13 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 18.10.2013 04:32, Miles Fidelman a écrit :

> > I'm pretty sure that C was NOT written to build operating systems -
> > though it's been used for that (notably Unix).
>
> I never said I agreed that C was designed to build OS only. Having to
> manage memory does not make, in my opinion, a language made to write
> OSes.

'There's nothing new under the sun.'

C was designed with a view to rewriting the early assembler-based Unix,
but not from scratch. It was partially derived from B, which was based
on BCPL, which itself was based on CPL and optimised to write
compilers, but was also used for OS programming...

> I never took a look, but are linux or unix fully written in C? No
> piece of asm? I would not bet too much on that.

More than you ever wanted to know...

http://digital-domain.net/lug/unix-linux-history.html

--
Joe