Re: dpkg-query - package "un"packed, no version ???

On Ma, 03 sep 13, 01:28:35, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 9/3/13, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > Where or how do you get "no package description" for those packages?
> > What command are you using?
>
> :)
>
> With my custom supa-dupa package searcher and shower script :)
>
> Now, my script was using "dpkg -W $pkg-name" and grepping for "no
> packages found" to test whether the package was
> installed/not-installed. This fails in the situation of vim-athena
> (and similar situations of course), so my show_installed_package was
> being incorrectly called (should have been
> show__not_installed_package).

Well, it fails because you are not asking the correct question. If you
want dpkg to tell you if a package is installed or not then ask that
instead:

$ dpkg-query -W -f='${Package}\t${Status}\n' vim-athena
vim-athena      unknown ok not-installed

Kind regards,
Andrei