Re (2): CF-Firewire adapter

From:	Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>
Date:	Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:25:17 -0400
> Why do you believe the problem is with the adapter
> and not with the enclosure/drive?

The "drive" is a Compact Flash card.  There are two CF cards here
which work in CF-PATA adapters in other machines.  The CF cards
are good.

(CF-Firewire adapter) = (enclosure).  It is everything in the photo
except for the CF card; and only the edge of the CF is visible.   The
CF-Firewire adapter plugs into a socket on a Firewire-PCI adapter.
I should have put a ruler in the photo for scale.  This computer has
wheezy by the way.

> I assume the same enclosure/drive works fine on other
> systems ideally connected through Firewire?

The same failure happens when the (CF-Firewire + CF card) is connected
to the Firewire socket on another machine running squeeze.  I've
never seen this adapter work.  It was given to me by someone who
probably used it under MS Windows.

> Have you been able to try out other Firewire devices with this adapter?

A Fire-i camera works nicely for Coriander on both machines.  No evidence
of any problem with a Firewire socket on either machine.

> If so, I assume they too can't be used?

The CF-Firewire adapter and the Fire-i camera are the only 1394 devices I
have.  The camera works everywhere.  The adapter works nowhere.  To my
reasoning the problem is in the CF-Firewire adapter in the photo.

Too bad nobody else has mentioned successful operation of something with a
LSI SYM13FW501 chip.

Any further discussion is welcome, thanks,                       ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +13606390202  Bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca  http://carnot.yi.org/