Re: Jessie Minimum Kernel Requirement

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 03:54:06PM +0400, recoverym4n@gmail.com wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:46:40 +0200
> Florian Lindner <mailinglists@xgm.de> wrote:
>
> > What is the minimum kernel version for the upcoming Jessie? Can I rely
> > on that this does no change after the freeze? (IIRC at Nov 5th)
>
> Considering one should be always able to do apt-get dist-upgrade from
> wheezy to jessie (and that means using wheezy's kernel with jessie's
> userland, at least temporary), it should be safe to assume that minimum
> kernel requirement for jessie's userland is 2.6.32.

This isn't really a safe assumption. There have been transitions in the
past (such as udev) where the dist-upgrade should be performed as:
  * Update sources.list
  * Install new kernel and new udev
  * Reboot
  * Proceed with dist-upgrade

After the reboot, you're then running on the previous release's userland
with the current release's kernel. That situation SHOULD be more stable
than the other way around as kernels /rarely/ remove functionality. But
if you run new userland on an old kernel, and it tries to call
functionality that's not there, you can run into trouble.