Re: xtrs z80

On 10/15/2013 1:47 PM, Beco wrote:
> On 15 October 2013 04:38, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>
>> Beco <rcb <at> beco.cc> writes:
>>
>>> Is xtrs broken under wheezy?
>>
>> What is it anyway?  A Tandy Trash 80 emulator?

> Hi Stan,
>
> Yep, its an emulator for TRS-80 ! Please, don't call it by its ugly
> nickname (Trash!) :)

I say that with affection.  I cut my computing teeth on the TRS-80 Model
III and IV.  I taught myself BASIC, Pascal, and Assembly Language on
these machines in the 2nd half of the 80s, in my early teens.

> I'm having lots of fun with this emulator. Today I could install a
> harddrive, mind you!
> It has (I believe, I need to compute it yet) 13 MB!!
>
> I'll put all software from various disketts I've collected in this single
> file.
>
> Now I just need to make it boot from the HD and I don't need even the OS on
> drive :0 anymore.
>
> As soon as I put a c compiler on it, I'll start using only my TRS-80 to
> work. Bye debian! It was nice to be with you! But things evolves, you know!

I don't know if C was even available for the TRS-80 back then.  If it
was it didn't cross my RADAR.

> Ahaha! I wonder what my students would do when I ask for the next
> assignment: -Do a program that reads 2 numbers and calculates the average,
> in C. - Just it, teacher? - Yep. But on a TRS80. LOL.

Aww, don't make it so easy.  Have them do it in assembler. :)

--
Stan