Re: linux-image-3.10-3-amd64 unbootable: /dev/disk/by-uuid not created

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Jesse Molina <jesse@opendreams.net> wrote:
> On 10/12/13 2:40 AM, Jesse Molina wrote:
>>
>> I have a Debian unstable host which successfully boots from the
>> linux-image-3.10-1-amd64 kernel package.  However, I recently installed the
>> linux-image-3.10-3-amd64 kernel package, and it is unbootable.
>>
>> When I boot from the linux-image-3.10-3-amd64 package kernel, the boot
>> fails and drops me into the initramfs busybox.  The messge "Gave up waiting
>> for the root device." appears, along with "ALERT!
>> /dev/disk/by-uuid/bla-bla-bla-my-id-here does not exist.".
>>
>> The problem appears to be that udev is not creating /dev/disk/by-uuid/*
>> and similar objects.  The only directory being created in /dev/disk is
>> "by-id".  Note that the mdadm arrays are being successfully assembled and I
>> can see them if I cat /proc/mdstat.
>>
>> the root= argument in grub is a UUID of a mdadm RAID1 array.  This host's
>> boot part is a RAID1, and the root part is a RAID5.  This is standard PC
>> desktop hardware with four disk drives upon which the md RAIDs are built.
>>
>> The host has been dist-upgraded as of this time.
>>
>> Advice appreciated.  Otherwise, I'll file a bug on it.
>
> This is confimed bug # 726237.  It's actually mdadm.  Bad udev rule file.

Please bottom-post.

I was about to check how to use udevadm to reply to your previous
email; I'm glad that you've saved me the headache! :)

I should've thought of asking you about the udev md device rule rather
than the udev sd device rule. :(