Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> Joel Rees wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM,  <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> [...] if you think that people are free to
>>> give themselves the label they want, so you must accept that other are
>>> also
>>> free to give the labels they want.
>>> Long time ago, I studied the "dark side of computer sciences", and the
>>> first
>>> things I have learn are that you can not claim to be a hacker, or elite,
>>> or... If you do so, then people will name you lamer. You are a hacker if
>>> other people recognize you as such.
>>
>> There is a difference between the three words.
>>
>> Elite is something that truly elite people do not try to be. Nor do
>> they care if they are called such. That's the irony of "l33+".
>

> That's kind of a debateable statement.  Those who achieve "eliteness"
> probably don't care about the lable, but to actually BE "elite" at anything,
> you pretty much have to always be seeking that next challenge, and pushing
> your knowledge and skills - very few of the "elite" are pure naturals.

Well, yeah, I wasn't intending to imply a lack of work.

I had in mind different goals -- trying to be elite for the pride, vs.
wanting to be able to a better job just because you care about the job
or the people who use your service.

(And even there, different people will read "pride" differently.)

> It
> takes work (or "trying").  [Just check out how many baseballs David Ortiz
> swings at during practice. :-)]

Definitely.

--
Joel Rees