Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

Le 11.10.2013 23:44, Brian a écrit :
On Fri 11 Oct 2013 at 23:21:07 +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 11.10.2013 23:06, Brian a écrit :
>"are you root?"

It does only means you own the system. Not that you can claim to be
a sysadmin. I own my car. I am not a mechanic, but I anyway have the
*authorizations* to tinker it. It's what root, or to be more
precise, uid=0 means in linux OSes.

If you own a system you control it and can do whatever you like with it. You can give yourself whatever label you want (sysadmin, superuser, top
dog etc) - it matters not. How about "Debian Despot"?

Oh, of course, if you speak about giving yourself a label, then, fine. Take the one you want. But, it does not mean that you can claim to be a professional, or that you can say someone is a professional.

Take the label you want. But if you take the label of "programmer" because you can only write a hello world, and will own the source code. But then do not be surprised if other people gives you the label of "liar". It is the same with sysadmin. You can own your computer, be only able to install softwares and use those excuses to label yourself a sysadmin. But then, other people are also free to give you the label of liar.

I guess you will not like my words, but if you think that people are free to give themselves the label they want, so you must accept that other are also free to give the labels they want. Long time ago, I studied the "dark side of computer sciences", and the first things I have learn are that you can not claim to be a hacker, or elite, or... If you do so, then people will name you lamer. You are a hacker if other people recognize you as such. The truth here is simple: you are not what you want, only other people can define who you really are.