Re: linux-image-3.10-3-amd64 unbootable: /dev/disk/by-uuid not created

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Sven Hartge wrote:

>> I have the same problem as Jesse, roughly since the update to
>> mdadm-3.3 in Sid.

> I am using mdadm 3.3-1 in Sid on the machine I am typing this on now.
> But I am using LVM which might be the difference.  With LVM the UUIDs
> are present but are one layer deeper in the LVM PV layer.

>> Suddenly, only UUID symlinks to real devices are present in
>> /dev/disk/by-uuid while inside the initramfs, links to device-mapper
>> devices or md-devices are missing.

> Hmm...

>> I am able to boot if I set "GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true" in
>> /etc/default/grub, because that sets "root=/dev/md0" instead of
>> "root=UUID=...."

> Can you verify that the UUID of your root device and the UUID that
> doesn't boot on grub's kernel command line are the same?

Absolutely. I used blkid inside the initramfs and the UUID of the
filesystem on /dev/md0 matches the one referenced from /proc/cmdline for
root=UUID=...

> The UUIDs match.  All is good.  Can you check to see if they do or do
> not match on your system?  I suspect that they do not match and that
> is why the system will not boot.  Because if they match then it should
> work.  This is the default when booting Debian Wheezy on installations
> (not using LVM).

The UUIDs match in my case and the system does not boot, because those
very UUIDs are not symlinked via /dev/disb/by-uuid/...
If I manually add the missing symlinks, I am able to continue booting.

Just out of curiosity I added a ridiculous long rootdelay of 300 to
check if the symlinks will appear eventually but this didn't change
anything (which would have surprised me anyhow).

Grüße,
S°

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.