Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On 12.Okt.2013, at 01:22, Terho Uotila wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 00:11:01 +0200
> berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
>
>> Oh, of course, if you speak about giving yourself a label, then,
>> fine. Take the one you want. But, it does not mean that you can claim
>> to be a professional, or that you can say someone is a professional.
>>
> It seemed to me that "rootly powers doesn't make sysadmin" camp equated
> sysadmin with _professional_ sysadmin (or as job title), and above kind
> of confirms this.
>
> (I believe) other camp ("rootly powers makes sysadmin") on the other
> hand is talking about role person performs in administering system,
> whether in professional capacity or non-professional. (I admit I'm in
> this group.)
>
> I hope this helps you all agree on something. :)

I agree! There are different points of view.

Some years ago I would have said I am a "System Administrator" if I were asked. The business cards I got from employer said "System engineer".

Maybe it's just a concept which somehow evades precise definition :-)

--
Markus