Consistent mouse and scrollbar behavior in X?

Hello,
Clicking on scrollbars does different things with different applications. In Emacs, the following used to be standard:
- left click: one screenful down
- right click: one screenful up
- middle click: jump to where you clicked

In emacs now (emacs-24 with gtk+), the mouse scrolling is quite poor. Left click jumps the scrollbar to the place you clicked, but the buffer text doesn't change. In evince, left and right click do exactly the same thing, jump to the point where you clicked. However, in xpdf, left click takes you down (or up) one screenful and middle click jumps to the point.

I did some web searching to try to fix this. I found how to move my scrollbar in emacs back over to the left, instead of on the right (set-scroll-bar-mode 'left), but I haven't found a way to get my old mouse behavior back in emacs, much less make it standard across all X programs. Is this possible? The fact that xpdf and evince behave so differently suggests one uniform system may be difficult to achieve.

BTW, I'm using the i3 window manager on Debian unstable. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.