Re: Tool for investigating dependency chains?

berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Le 09.10.2013 19:49, Richard Owlett a écrit :
If I can correctly read and follow instructions (friends and
family
tend to doubt), the above tells me too much about what is already
installed and not enough about what is not installed :(

Hehe, I can understand your friends, or maybe I was not clear
enough. ;)

I think the communication problem is with what I originally wrote.

You can select installed package, or not: aptitude shows all
packages you could install, not only the ones you have actually
installed.
Plus, there are here another informations that I did not spoke
about: it will show you the current state of the package, aka:
installed, automatically installed, removed or absent from the
system ( it means never installed or purged ). Those informations
are shown with the characters before the package full name ( name
+ version ). "i" means installed, "iA" means automatically
installed, "p" is for absent from the system, and "c" is for
removed ( some configuration are still system-wide installed ).
Oh, and, "B" means there is a broken dependency, but you will
guess that with the red color more than with the letter I think.
Those characters also indicate the actions aptitude will do, but
I think you will understand that quickly when you will have
played a little with that tool.

As you say, aptitude tells me much about installed packages.

It tells me only a few things about uninstalled packages:
  1. the name of the package
  2. a description of the package
  3. that the package is not installed

It does not tell me:
  A. the names of packages it recommends be also installed
  B. the description of those packages