Re: What does 'apt' in /etc/cron.daily do?

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

Thanks for the in depth explanations and advice. Very helpful.

>> Of course there are other ways, like removing the
>> /etc/cron.daily/logrotate script altogether and running logrotate
>> from roots' crontab.
>
> Under the principle of "where do you stop" I think that is worse.
> Because following that to the logical conclusion it means that you
> should run everything from your own cubbyhole.  "Standard is better
> than better."  But as we know if things are very much too customized
> then they become fragile.  Upgrades become a mental memory challenge.
> You have to remember too much about how everything is configured.  I
> wouldn't do it.  But then I wouldn't do the rename either. :-)

You've convinced me to keep it as standard as I can, and since it now
works or at least seems to work in any of several ways, including
original there isn't any reason to left to customize off on my own.

I grabbed the original files that I've been editing (I copied all
originals as I usually do), and have set it back in the original way.
Seems to work.  So back it is..

I really took your advice to heart about documenting any changes made
in some plainly recognizable way... I've hit the speed bump a few
times, where I look at some edit I made, maybe yrs ago and can't even
imagine what I was trying to do, let alone remember it.  At my age,
that becomes more and more important.

Thanks again.