[OT] List software, duplicate mail, or not. (was ... Re: Building computer)

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 05:44:44AM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 10/03/2013 05:11 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > No apology necessary.  I'm on many open lists (LKML) where hitting
> > reply-to-list only goes to the sender.  So I've been guilty myself a few
> > times.
> >
> so that is list specific... I wondered, because sometimes I hit reply &
> it goes to the person, other times it goes to the list.. Thunderbird..

I think it has been discussed before, but depending on the list software
used and the settings, if someone CC's you then you get a private mail
but not a list mail - it still goes to the list, it's just that *you*
don't get a copy!

It seems as though this started because people who are from Windows
might get confused with getting two copies of a mail!!!

A couple of times I recd a private email which was also addressed to a
list and deleted it (because it makes more sense to reply to the list,
obviously) but when I opened that list's mailbox -- it wasn't there!!

None of the Debian lists I am subscribed to have this serious problem.

There is a personal setting which you can change from your subscription
page, (you're given a password and reminded monthly what is is) which
you can toggle: (unfortunately, on some lists default is yes.)