Re: Building a computer for compiling and CPU emulation (Re: Building computer)

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 9/29/2013 6:01 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_mobile_microprocessors
>>
>> tells me that AMD A4-1250, AMD A6-1450, and E2-1800 all have AMD-V.
>>
>> The E2-1800 has a half-Meg L2 cache, but higher speed CPU (1.7GHz).
>>
>> The A4-1250 has 1 Meg L2 cache but lower speed CPU (1.0 GHz).
>>
>> The A6-1450 has 2 Meg L2 cache to share between twice the CPUs.
>
> The A4-1450 is probably the best choice, not taking cost into
> consideration.  Here's why:
>
> 1.  Turbo core up to 1.4GHz
>
> 2.  All 3 models have 512KB L2/core, no advantage for any
>
> 3.  Temash core has better IPC than Zacate
>
> 4.  4 cores @ 1.4GHz should give better compile times than
>     2 cores @ 1.8GHz.  4 @ 1GHz should as well.  -j4 or higher
>
> 5.  A6-1450 is 9W chip, E2-1800 is 18W chip, longer run time
>     28nm vs 40nm
>
> The one downside is that for non-compute intensive operations, such as
> normal interactive GUI apps, say PDF viewing, browser rendering, etc, it
> may be considerably slower than the 1.8GHz E2-1800, due to the 800MHz
> clock deficit, as the turbo core may not kick in a lot here.  And WRT
> turbo core, I'm not quite sure what this means:
>
> "Selected parts support Turbo Dock technology, that can increase CPU and
> GPU frequencies when external cooling is available."
>
> So if the unit you purchase doesn't have a variable speed fan that can
> fulfill this requirement, this may mean you can't get 1.4GHz turbo mode.
>  And I'm just guessing that devices of this class may not include forced
> air cooling.  Sorry I don't have all the answers here, but maybe this
> helps get you a bit closer.
>
> One thing I can assure you of is that for your stated use case, IIUI
> correctly, all of these CPUs are very likely woefully inadequate for the
> task.

Yes and no. Most of the compiling will be much smaller than a kernel,
not even complete packages. I think I said it but you've clipped that
part, but this is a course in programming that includes writing some
drivers.

Emulating the superH processor is going to be a bit demanding,
particularly if I find myself wanting to compile a superH kernel and
not having access to the school labs over a long holiday. I am aware
of that and will plan accordingly.

Mostly, I was trying to dig up the AMD-V support and something in the
thread pointed me the right direction.

I'm not planning getting more than AMD-V in a portable machine. Don't
want to carry a boat battery with me. :-p

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.