Re: Building a computer for compiling and CPU emulation (Re: Building computer)

On 9/29/2013 6:01 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_mobile_microprocessors
>
> tells me that AMD A4-1250, AMD A6-1450, and E2-1800 all have AMD-V.
>
> The E2-1800 has a half-Meg L2 cache, but higher speed CPU (1.7GHz).
>
> The A4-1250 has 1 Meg L2 cache but lower speed CPU (1.0 GHz).
>
> The A6-1450 has 2 Meg L2 cache to share between twice the CPUs.

The A4-1450 is probably the best choice, not taking cost into
consideration.  Here's why:

1.  Turbo core up to 1.4GHz

2.  All 3 models have 512KB L2/core, no advantage for any

3.  Temash core has better IPC than Zacate

4.  4 cores @ 1.4GHz should give better compile times than
    2 cores @ 1.8GHz.  4 @ 1GHz should as well.  -j4 or higher

5.  A6-1450 is 9W chip, E2-1800 is 18W chip, longer run time
    28nm vs 40nm

The one downside is that for non-compute intensive operations, such as
normal interactive GUI apps, say PDF viewing, browser rendering, etc, it
may be considerably slower than the 1.8GHz E2-1800, due to the 800MHz
clock deficit, as the turbo core may not kick in a lot here.  And WRT
turbo core, I'm not quite sure what this means:

"Selected parts support Turbo Dock technology, that can increase CPU and
GPU frequencies when external cooling is available."

So if the unit you purchase doesn't have a variable speed fan that can
fulfill this requirement, this may mean you can't get 1.4GHz turbo mode.
 And I'm just guessing that devices of this class may not include forced
air cooling.  Sorry I don't have all the answers here, but maybe this
helps get you a bit closer.

One thing I can assure you of is that for your stated use case, IIUI
correctly, all of these CPUs are very likely woefully inadequate for the
task.

--
Stan